Suggestions

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:29 AM

First of all, A great piece of work. Boy! there is lot to learn from your style of coding.

Can you also consider creating an example where you click an intermediate figure under the mouse as soon as a tool is selected.

Example: circle tool.  Since you need two dependency list point-point so current behaviour is to get two points from the user before figure completion is completed. 

Other option will be, using a default radius a circle is immediately created with its center at current mouse position. User places it and then (if they wish) they can update it by dragging center/radius point. 

This is a big help if you have to create a lots of circles of uniform radius. The default radius can  then be defined in the settings.

I am trying extend your code to my particular needs. To summarize, I am working on extending your work on solving engineering calculations (solve graphically, circuit diagrams, solve automotive gearbox calculations where user will draw the gears).

It would be a great help, if you can consider converting your classes to partial classes (which ever classes that can be changed to partial).

That way, a user like me can extend the framework and also be in sync with your code.

Once again, thanks a lot for your work.  You are teaching lots of users by your work.

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Thanks a lot!

I think that a tool could define a default dependency, but that would need some special casing. For your example, seems like the "circle by radius" tool would benefit from what you're saying - you set the radius once and then reuse it - click - click - click to create circles with that radius. I'll see what I can do. If you whip up some code - do let me know!

I don't think converting all classes to partials would be a great idea - partial was not intended as an extensibility mechanism. Tell me how you'd like to extend the code (what would you like to add) and we'll figure out a clean architectural solution together. It would be super interesting and important for me to learn how to make my framework easily extensible given a real-world customer.

I didn't seal any of the classes, so inheritance might be an option. As well as extension methods, aggregation, decorator pattern and lot's of other GoF-style goodies.

That said, I will go ahead and unseal several primary classes by making them partial. You can give me a list of 5-10 classes and I will make them partial for now to unblock your work. However an even better alternative would be for you to describe what you want to achieve and I'll figure out a solution that possible doesn't involve partial classes :)

Thanks!

Kirill

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Done!

http://livegeometry.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/30823

Let me know if this helps!

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Thanks a lot for taking care of it.

Regarding, completing the figure by defaults, I did not make any change to the base classes, I am just using cheap way by overriding click functions in my class and then calling base.click, multiple times followed by a modified mouse up call. I am sure this is not a best by to handle this scnario.

Function that I miss most is the lack of Rotation implementation in the IFigure interface. The issue, is ; Since we did not implement any co-ordinate system in place while creating the graphic entities, We really can not use the magic of transformation matrix to redraw the figures at a given angle. That is something that you might want to think about. for future.

Once again, this is a great piece of work. I admire your dedication to the project.